Interesting Facts About Colombia
- Its the second most biodiverse country in the world, after only Brazil which is 10 times its size. It has the highest amount of species by area in the world, including more species of bird than all of Europe and North America combined.
- Colombia is the only country in South America that has coastlines on both the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.
- The country’s name is pronounced Col-o-mbia, not Col-u-mbia, which is a common mistake by non-Spanish speaking visitors. Its derived from the last name of explorer Christopher Columbus.
- Colombia is home to the Cano Cristales – the “River of Five Colors” or the “Liquid Rainbow.” The river’s bed changes color between yellow, green, blue, black, and especially red, beginning the end of July and through November.
- Colombia is the world’s leading source of emeralds. It is also the third largest exporter of coffee in the world after Brazil and Vietnam.
View of Bogota, Colombia. Photo by Pedro Szekely