Legalization Services

How can I start to prepare for a Legalization Program?:

As a member of Catholic Charities USA, Catholic Charities of Tennessee, Inc. adopts the recommendations of The Catholic Church in the United States regarding immigration matters. The Catholic Church recommends people living in the U.S.A. without documentation obtain valid proof of their identity.

Such documentation might include:

  • An expired or un-expired valid passport from the foreign national's home country.
  • An original birth certificate or a certified copy from the foreign national's home country. (You will need to obtain a certified English translation of any document in a foreign language.)
  • Other valid photo identification issued by the home country, such as a matricula consular or other documents issued by any federal, state, or local government of the United States.

(NOTE: Because an undocumented foreign national runs the risk of being placed in removal (i.e., "deportation") proceedings if s/he comes to the attention of the U.S. government, the Catholic Church recommends that undocumented foreign nationals first seek advice from a licensed immigration attorney or a BIA-recognized agency before approaching a government agency to seek documentation of identification). BEWARE of people or agencies that offer to get immigration "papers" or "identification" for foreign nationals. They might be obtaining fake identification documents and if the foreign national uses those documents they might end up being deported! Obtain photo identification only through lawful methods, such as through the foreign national's home government. BEWARE OF NOTARIOS AND IMMIGRATION CONSULTANTS who offer help filing applications with the government. Many of these consultants have taken advantage of undocumented immigrants by filing applications on behalf of undocumented foreign nationals without verifying whether the individual is actually eligible for the immigration benefit. Congress has not yet passed any law that authorizes the legalization of undocumented people!! If a person offers to file an application for legalization on behalf of an undocumented foreign national, they may be putting that foreign national in danger of deportation!! If a foreign national has been arrested or convicted in the past, and then applies for an immigration benefit, he or she could be deported from the United States - even if the criminal conviction has been cleared! We strongly suggest that any foreign national seeking immigration consultation or who has been arrested or have a criminal conviction obtain expert legal advice from a licensed immigration attorney or a Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) recognized agency before filing any application with the immigration authorities.

Good Moral Character:

It is very important that undocumented immigrants prove that they are people of good moral character. Undocumented immigrants should gather documents proving that they are of "good moral character" while they have been living in the United States. While U.S. immigration law has no clear definition of "good moral character," the law does state that a person who has been involved in certain types of bad or criminal conduct cannot be considered a person of good moral character. If a foreign national cannot prove that s/he has been a person of good moral character, then it is unlikely that s/he would be able to obtain his/her green card through a legalization program. How does someone prove that they are a person of "good moral character"? A foreign national can prove that s/he is a person of good moral character by showing:

  • parental involvement in children's schooling;
  • payment of income taxes;
  • emotional and financial support of family, and
  • involvement in community, religious, and/or volunteer organizations.

For immigrant men who are at least 18 years of age and who have not yet reached their 26th birthday, they should register with the U.S. Selective Service System. The U.S. government will look at whether the men registered with the U.S. Selective Service System in order to determine their good moral character. Foreign nationals should start getting involved with their community and with their church, congregation, mosque, or synagogue. For example, they should register at their local church.

Physical Presence or Residency in the United States:

Undocumented immigrants should start gathering documentation to prove when and how they physically arrived in the United States and that they have lived in the United States as their primary home since arrival. They should also start gathering documentation to prove that they have worked in the United States. Some documentation to prove their arrival in the United States might be the bus or plane tickets used to travel to the United States or the receipts for such tickets. The Catholic Church recommends that foreign nationals write out in a chronological format, starting from the date the foreign national first entered the United States:

  • each address where s/he has resided in the United States and the dates of residence at each address;
  • the name and address of each employer and the beginning and ending dates of employment at each job.

Then the foreign national can use this list to begin to gather documentation to prove residence and employment for those time periods. Foreign nationals should consider collecting documentation in 3-month periods to prove that the foreign national was in fact continuously physically present in the United States. Below is a list of documents that help prove residency in the United States. Make sure that they have the foreign national's name on them - or the name of the family member who wants to legalize. The foreign national should gather as many of these documents as s/he can, make clear photocopies of them, and store them in a safe place.

  • Paycheck stubs and payroll records
  • Lease/Rental agreements/ /or proof of security deposit payment
  • Birth certificates of children born in the United States
  • Marriage certificates if married in the United States
  • Divorce degrees if divorced in the United States
  • Dental, hospital, medical vaccination records and bills, and proof of payment
  • School records, awards, certifications, diplomas, pictures, yearbooks, etc.
  • Religious records such as baptism, confirmation and registration certificates
  • Census records
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service/Department of Homeland Security
  • Form I-94, arrival/departure record
  • Valid (expired or un-expired) passport with stamped date of admission into the United States.
  • Proof of ownership of real estate (e.g., a home)
  • Proof of application for home loan and proof of paying-off home loan
  • Proof of purchase of an automobile and payments for automobile and car insurance
  • Automobile registration, car title, license receipts and Department of Motor Vehicle records
  • Department of Public Safety records
  • Insurance invoices, claims, policies and payment of insurance
  • Utility bills such as electricity, gas, heat, sewer, water, etc. and telephone bills
  • Credit card history in the United States (e.g., Sears card, etc.)
  • Social Security records
  • Record of payment of federal, state, and/or local taxes with W-2 forms
  • Union records
  • Bank records such as statements, cancelled checks and money order receipts
  • Selective Service registration card
  • Postmarked envelopes addressed to the foreign national here in the United States
  • Photographs of celebrations in the United States, preferably with dates marked on them

Disclaimer: This information is not legal advice. It is for educational and informational purposes only. If you know of someone who needs legal advice, advise him or her to consult either a licensed immigration attorney or an accredited representative from a Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) recognized agency. An undocumented foreign national should not seek legal advice from a notario or an "immigration consultant" who is not accredited by the BIA.


Cómo debe prepararse un Ciudadano Extranjero indocumentado para la legalización AHORA?

  • Identidad
  • La iglesia católica en Los Estados Unidos recomienda a la gente que vive aquí sin documentación, que obtenga prueba válida de su identidad. Dicha documentación puede ser:Acta de nacimiento original o copia certificada.
  • Alguna otra identificación válida con fotografía expedida por su país de origen, por ejemplo un matricula consular u otros documentos expedidos por el gobierno federal, estatal, o por el gobierno local de Los Estados Unidos.
(NOTA: Debido a que un ciudadano extranjero indocumentado corre el riesgo de ser deportado si es sorprendido por el gobierno de Los Estados Unidos, la Iglesia Católica les recomienda que busquen primero la asesoría de un abogado de migración o de alguna agencia reconocida por el Consejo de Migración (BIA), antes de comenzar a tramitar su documentación de identificación con agencias del gobierno)

TENGA CUIDADO de gente o agencias que ofrecen conseguir "papeles" o "identificaciones" para ciudadanos extranjeros. Puede ser que ellos obtengan documentos falsos de identidad, y si usted, como ciudadano extranjero utiliza estos documentos, podría terminar deportado! Obtenga identificaciones con fotografía sólo a través de métodos legales, tales como aquellos expedidos por oficinas del gobierno de su país.

TENGA CUIDADO DE LOS NOTARIOS Y ASESORES DE INMIGRACIÓN que ofrecen ayuda en llenar solicitudes para el gobierno. Muchos de estos "asesores" se han aprovechado de inmigrantes indocumentados llenando solicitudes a favor de gente indocumentada, sin verificar si la persona efectivamente es elegible para recibir el beneficio de inmigración. ¡El Congreso aún no aprueba ninguna ley que autorice la legalización de gente indocumentada! Si una persona le ofrece archivar una solicitud de legalización a favor de un ciudadano extranjero indocumentado, podrían poner a dicha persona en peligro de deportación!

Recomendamos ampliamente que los ciudadanos extranjeros busquen asistencia legal sólo a través de alguna organización no lucrativa reconocida por el Consejo de Apelaciones Migratorias (BIA por sus siglas en inglés) tal como Caridades Católicas o bien, de un abogado con licencia.

Buena Conducta Moral:

Es muy importante que los inmigrantes indocumentados muestren que son personas de buena conducta moral.

Los inmigrantes indocumentados deben reunir documentos que demuestren que son personas de "buena conducta moral" mientras han estado viviendo en Los Estados Unidos. Aún cuando la ley de migración de Los Estados Unidos no tiene una clara definición de "buena conducta moral", la ley establece que una persona que ha estado involucrada en cierto tipo de conducta mala o criminal, no puede ser considerada una persona de buena conducta moral. Si un ciudadano extranjero no puede demostrar que ha sido una persona de buena conducta moral, es poco probable que pueda obtener su tarjeta de residente a través de un programa de legalización.

Cómo puede una persona comprobar ser de "Buena conducta moral"?

Un ciudadano extranjero puede demostrar su "buena conducta moral" de las siguientes formas:
  • Involucrándose como padre en la educación de sus hijos;
  • Pagando sus impuestos;
  • Apoyando emocional y financieramente a la familia, e
  • Involucrándose en organizaciones comunitarias, de religión o de voluntariado.
Todo hombre inmigrante mayor de 18 años de edad y que no han cumplido aún 26 años, deben registrarse al Sistema de Servicio Selectivo de Los Estados Unidos. El gobierno de Los Estados Unidos comprobará si los hombres se registraron al Sistema de Servicio Selectivo para determinar su buena conducta moral.

Los ciudadanos extranjeros deben comenzar a involucrarse en actividades en su comunidad y en su iglesia, congregación, mezquita o sinagoga. Por ejemplo, deben registrarse en su iglesia local.

TENGA CUIDADO DE LOS NOTARIOS Y ASESORES DE INMIGRACIÓN que ofrecen ayuda en llenar solicitudes del gobierno. Muchos de estos "asesores" se han aprovechado de inmigrantes indocumentados llenando solicitudes a favor de gente indocumentada, sin verificar si la persona efectivamente es elegible para recibir el beneficio de inmigración.

Si un ciudadano extranjero ha sido arrestado o declarado culpable en el pasado, y posteriormente solicita un beneficio de migración, podría ser deportado de Los Estados Unidos - ¡aún cuando la condena criminal haya sido cumplida! Es muy importante que los ciudadanos extranjeros que hayan sido arrestados o condenados obtengan asesoría legal de un abogado con licencia experto en las leyes de migración, o bien, de una agencia acreditada por el Consejo de Apelaciones Migratorias (BIA por sus siglas en inglés), antes de archivar cualquier solicitud con las autoridades de migración.

Residencia o Presencia Física en Los Estados Unidos:

Los inmigrantes indocumentados deberían comenzar a reunir documentación para comprobar cuándo y cómo llegaron a Los Estados Unidos, así como de que han vivido en Los Estados Unidos, como hogar principal, desde su llegada. Deberían también reunir documentación para comprobar que han trabajado en Los Estados Unidos.

Algunos documentos que pueden servir como evidencia de su llegada a Los Estados Unidos podrían ser los boletos de avión o de autobús utilizados para viajar a Los Estados Unidos, o bien, los recibos de dichos boletos.

La Iglesia Católica recomienda que los ciudadanos extranjeros escriban de manera cronológica, comenzando por la fecha en que entró por primera vez a Los Estados Unidos:
  • Cada dirección en donde ha residido y las fechas de residencia en cada dirección;
  • El nombre y dirección de cada patrón y las fechas de inicio y término de cada trabajo.
De tal manera, el ciudadano extranjero puede utilizar esta lista para comenzar a reunir documentación para demostrar su residencia y empleo durante ese tiempo. Deben considerar reunir documentación en periodos de 3 meses para que de tal manera, pueda comprobar que en efecto se encontraba físicamente presente continuamente en Los Estados Unidos.

A continuación se encuentra una lista de documentos que ayudan a demostrar residencia en Los Estados Unidos. Asegúrese que estos tengan el nombre del ciudadano extranjero - o el nombre del familiar que quiera legalizar. El ciudadano extranjero deberá reunir tantos documentos como le sean posibles, hacer fotocopias claras de estos y conservarlos en un lugar seguro.
  • Recibos de nómina o de sueldo
  • Contratos de renta / o comprobantes de pago de depósito
  • Actas de nacimiento de hijos nacidos en Los Estados Unidos
  • Actas de matrimonio si se casaron en Los Estados Unidos
  • Actas de divorcio si se divorciaron en Los Estados Unidos
  • Registros médicos de vacunación, recibos de hospital o de dentista, así como comprobantes de pago
  • Documentos escolares, reconocimientos, certificados, diplomas, fotografías, anuarios, etc...
  • Documentos religiosos, tales como actas y/o certificados de bautizo, confirmación o registro
  • Registros de censo.
  • Formato I-94 del Servicio de Migración y Ciudadanía de Los Estados Unidos con registro de entrada y salida.
  • Pasaporte válido, vigente o vencido, con sello de admisión a Los Estados Unidos.
  • Escrituras de bienes raíces (ejemplo: una casa, terreno o departamento)
  • Comprobantes de solicitud de préstamo hipotecario o de la liquidación del préstamo.
  • Comprobante de compra de auto y de pagos de seguro del automóvil.
  • Registro del vehículo, factura y recibos de la placa del automóvil.
  • Documentos del Departamento de Seguridad Pública.
  • Facturas de seguros, reclamaciones, pólizas y pagos de seguro.
  • Recibos de servicios tales como luz, gas, agua y teléfono.
  • Historial crediticio en Los Estados Unidos (ejem: tarjeta de Sears, etc.).
  • Documentos del Seguro Social.
  • Comprobante de pago de impuestos federales, estatales o locales (formato W-2
  • Documentación de algún Sindicato al que se pertenezca.
  • Documentos bancarios, tales como estados de cuenta, cheques cancelados o recibos de órdenes de pago.
  • Tarjeta de registro del Servicio Selectivo.
  • Sobres sellados por el servicio postal dirigidos al ciudadano extranjero.
  • Fotografías de eventos familiares o con amigos en Los Estados Unidos, preferentemente marcados con fechas.
AVISO: Esta información no es un consejo legal. Su propósito es únicamente educativo e informativo. Si usted sabe de alguien que necesita asesoría legal, aconséjele que consulte a un abogado de inmigración competente o a un representante acreditado de una agencia reconocida por el Consejo de Apelaciones Migratorias (BIA por sus siglas en inglés). Un ciudadano extranjero indocumentado no debe buscar ayuda de un "notario" o de un "asesor de migración" que no esté acreditado por el Consejo.

The services of our Basic Needs Programs work to meet the needs of people we serve in a supportive way.
Read more.
Immigration Services provides counseling, assistance in completing immigration forms and photographs to individuals seeking assistance in most immigration matters.
Read more.
Catholic Charities of Tennessee, Inc. has always been engaged in the humanitarian aid to refugees, starting with the finding of foster homes for 43 Cuban refugee children in 1962.
Read more.
If you are a parent looking for support to reduce stressors and increase your skills, our staff can help you with opportunities to meet the many challenges faced by families.
Read more.
A variety of services are provided to the Hispanic community in Middle Tennessee by Catholic Charities of Tennessee, Inc.'s Hispanic Services programs.
Read more.
Catholic Charities' Living at Home program assists seniors in their efforts to age in place.
Read more.
Since 1976, Catholic Charities School Counseling Program has helped thousands of students and their families find their way during times of distress.
Read more.
Caring Choices is a state-licensed adoption agency operated by Catholic Charities of TN, Inc. serving all races and religions.
Read more.
We have been engaged in humanitarian aid to refugee since 1962. Thousands from more than 35 countries have received help through Catholic Charities.
Read more.

Making a difference since 1962. CATHOLIC CHARITIES

2806 McGavock Pike
Nashville, TN 37214
Office: (615) 352-3087
Fax: (615) 352-8591

© 2020 Catholic Charities of Tennessee, Inc.